Light Therapy For Vitiligo Midtown
We know the social stigma surrounding vitiligo comes from sheer ignorance but cannot ignore the darkness borne out of it. Here at NSS Dermatology PLLC, we are using our platform to spread awareness about the disorder through education. Plus, we’re helping our patients select the best-customized treatments, including light therapy for vitiligo in Midtown.
Before we can treat your vitiligo, we must diagnose your specific case and get to understand your history with the condition. Our protocol involves a brief physical evaluation. Also, we use the wood lamp examination to get a closer look at your skin condition. The device uses ultraviolet (UV) light technology to illuminate your skin, which allows us to identify any foreign mechanisms.
Based on our findings, we might perform further tests such as a biopsy to rule out other possible causes of depigmentation. Thyroid hormone imbalance and vitamin B12 deficiency may trigger similar patterns of depigmentation. If your blood report indicates another disease, we will pursue further testing.
What causes vitiligo?
Vitiligo occurs when immune cells turn on pigment-producing cells or melanocytes in the body. While we don't know the precise science behind this phenomenon, we understand it’s an inherited gene. This disease is not race or gender bias; people of any skin color, age, and sex can develop the condition.
Another known fact is that an autoimmune disorder or disease often accompanies vitiligo. Although not all cases have these markers present, it is possible. Before we administer light therapy for vitiligo in Midtown, we do comprehensive tests to identify if there’s a co-occurring disease. Some related autoimmune disorders of vitiligo are:
- Addison disease
- Pernicious anemia
Treatment for vitiligo
We offer various therapies, topical treatment, and medication to improve the appearance of the patches. With the absence of pigment, we highly encourage the use of sunscreen or sun-blocking cream to prevent severe sunburn. Also, we offer the following treatment interventions for vitiligo:
- Phototherapy - Using this treatment approach, we expose your skin to low-level ultraviolet (UV) light to stimulate pigmentation synthesis naturally.
- Topical medication - Improves the effects of skin sensitivity when exposed to light.
- Topical corticosteroids - We recommend this to treat newly depigmented parts of your skin to stimulate pigmentation.
- Topical immunosuppressants - This treatment reduces skin inflammation.
- Autologous skin grafts - It’s a type of melanocyte transplant therapy. We often recommend this for stable vitiligo to even out pigmentation. Using epidermal grafts of your skin, we will safely reanimate the depigmented areas. The effects of the procedure are temporary but safe and effective.
- Micropigmentation (medical tattooing) - A permanent cosmetic procedure, this allows us to do a restoration process by implanting tiny portions of your natural pigment material under your skin.
Schedule an appointment online with an NSS Dermatology PLLC doctor for light therapy for vitiligo in Midtown screening. You can also call us at (212) 991 - 6490. Find us on Google maps for directions to our medical center in New York. Want to learn more about Phototherapy for vitiligo, check out our information portal online.
Back to top